Do You Know Your Bible?
There was a time when we in the churches of Christ were known as a Bible toting, Bible quoting people. However, I fear that some of us have followed many modern churches into the superficiality of popular culture and church growth consumerism. I believe there are many factors that might explain this (the COVID lockdowns didn’t help). However, with declining Bible study participation at home and church, we are now (or soon will be) suffering a crisis of biblical incompetency and illiteracy. Below is a Bible literacy/competency quiz. Give it a try!
Bible Literacy/Competency Quiz
- Can you name the books of the Bible in order?
- Is the book of Hezekiah in the Old or New Testament?
- Name the three Patriarchs?
- In which book of the New Testament is found this verse: “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes …”
- “A feast is made for laughter, and wine makes life merry, but money is the answer for everything.” In the Bible? or Not in the Bible?
- Where would You go in the Bible to read about the creation of the world?
- Where would You go in the Bible to read about the resurrection of Jesus?
- Where would You go in the Bible to read about the songs of David and others?
- Where would You go in the Bible to read about the early missionary work of the church?
- Can you share with someone else how to respond to Jesus? Bonus: Can you give Scripture and verse?
Theology—2 Timothy 3:14 –17
- Can you tell the story of the Fall of Humanity?
- Can you describe the nature and characteristics of God?
- Can you explain who Jesus is and why he had to die?
- Can you describe what will happen when Jesus comes again?
- Can you describe the doctrine of the resurrection and why it matters?
Apology (defense of the faith)—1 Peter 3:15
- If someone asked you why you believe God exists, what would you say?
- If someone asked you why you believe in creation over naturalistic evolution, what would you say?
- If someone asked you why God lets bad things happen (“the problem of evil”), what would you say?
- If someone asked you why you believe in the miracles in the Bible, what would you say?
- If someone asked you to prove Jesus was raised from the dead, would you say?
Moral Philosophy (Ethics) —Hebrews 5:12-14
- “You have your truth and I have mine.” Can you give a Bible answer?
- “Right and wrong depend on the situation.” Can you give a Bible answer?
- “It’s Ok to sleep with someone before marriage, if you love them.” Can you give a Bible answer?
- “Same sex relationships are acceptable in monogamous, committed relationships” Can you give a Bible answer?
- “It’s Ok to ‘cancel’ someone if they are immoral, unrighteous, wrong or if they disagree with you.” Can you give a Bible answer?
We’ll go over this in my lesson Sunday. How well did you do?