When in Doubt, Follow the Instructions.
God’s Commands are Blueprints for Building Our Lives.
The Ten Commandments are Cliffs Notes on the Old Testament.
Context of the Ten Commandments (Exodus 19:1 – 20:1):
- God has Delivered Israel our of Egyptian Bondage
- God is Establishing a Covenant with Israel… and Israel Accepts.
- God is Coming Down for a Visit.
- God’s Presence is Terrifying.
- God’s Goodness Always Precedes His Commands (Exodus 19:4; Exodus 20:1; Romans 5; Ephesians 2).
- God’s Commands Always Proceed from his Character (Exodus 20:1).
- God’s Laws Always Provide for a Well–Constructed Life (Exodus 19:5-6; Exodus 20:1 ff).
God Loves you More than you can Imagine
Are you in a Covenant Relationship with Him?
Are you a Faithful Image Bearer?
Are you Mediating his Grace to Others?
The table’s construction looked so simple. It was one of those chair side tables – barely large enough to set a cup of coffee and a book. There were less than ten parts and a handful of screws. You would think there was only one way to assemble it, but you would be wrong and so was I. I assembled, disassembled, and reassembled it twice, before I gave up and read the instructions. I would have saved my self so much time and trouble if I only read the instructions first!
This is the way life is. We assume we know what to do. We do things our way. We make so many mistakes. Had we only read the instructions – God’s instructions, how much different our lives would be!
Sunday, we begin a series of lessons on the Ten Commandments; it is entitled, How to Build a Life. The Ten Commandments are a summarized version of how God expects us to construct our lives. I’ll say more in my lesson. Join us for this series.
Leave A Comment