What Does it Mean to Be Grace-Oriented?
Matthew 20:13-15 “But he answered one of them, ‘Friend, I am not being unfair to you. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius? 14 Take your pay and go. I want to give the man who was hired last the same as I gave you. 15 Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’
DEFINITION OF GRACE
- Gift– being given what one needs instead of what one deserves
- Unmerited Favor– goodwill expressed which is not earned.
- Scandalous Goodwill – true grace is offensive.
JESUS DESCRIBES GRACE (Matthew 20:1-5):
- Is Scandalous
“…You have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.”
- Brings Accusations and Criticism
“Friend, I am not being unfair to you.”
“Are you envious because I am generous?”
- Is Everyone’s Favorite Gift to Receive, but least Favorite to Give!
A GRACE ORIENTED CHURCH…
- Understands God’s Grace
- Accepts Others as they Are
- Gives People the Benefit of the Doubt
- Gives Others Room to Grow and Make Mistakes
- Emphasizes Being Over Doing
ARE WE A GRACE-ORIENTED CHURCH?
ARE YOU GRACE-ORIENTED?