Process Driven Change
- Resolutions Require Change, but it is Hard to Change
- Doing Change God’s Way
- Last week we discussed holistic change; today we will discuss process driven change.
I. Goal Emphasis vs. System Emphasis (Process)
- Coach: Goal=Championship; Process=Daily Practice.
- Writer: Goal=Book; Process=Daily Writing Schedule.
- Runner: Goal=Marathon; Process=Training Schedule.
- Entrepreneur: Goal=Million Dollar Business; Process=Sales and Marketing Process
Focus on the How, not the What.
II. A Proven Formula for Success
III. A Biblical Model
- Sanctification is a Process (2 Corinthians 3:17-18; Galatians 5:22-25).
- Focus on the Present Moment (Ecclesiastes 9:10; Ephesians 5:15-16).
- Don’t be Distracted by Success (Philippians 3:13-14).
- Don’t be Distracted by Failure or Adversity (James 4:13-17).
- Six Reasons to Focus on Systems not Goals:
- Goals Can Lead to Discouragement.
- Goals Can Impede Long Term Progress.
- Goals Imply there are Things we Can Control that we have No Control Over.
- Systems are Working Plans for your Goals.
- Systems, if Appropriately Designed, will Lead to Goal Achievement.
- What you do Every Day (Your System/Process) Will Change Your Life.
- Are You Doing Change God’s Way?
Since I’m originally from Alabama, it is probably no secret that I am a University of Alabama college football fan. I know there is a lot of hate for the program because of their unprecedented success over the last twelve years, but no one can argue with their success or the greatness of their coach. Nick Saban turned the program around, at least in part, due to what he has called “The Process.” He tells his players and assistant coaches, “Don’t think about winning the SEC Championship. Don’t think about the national championship. Think about what you needed to do in this drill, on this play, in this moment. That’s the process: Let’s think about what we can do today, the task at hand.” This is also a biblical concept.
Our current lesson series, Doing Change God’s Way, is intended to help us make necessary changes in our lives. Change is difficult, but God has provided in his word a path to real change. Sunday, my lesson will discuss Process Driven Change. I’ll say more on Sunday.
I hope you will join us! Joey