The Sin That Entangles
- Resolutions Require Change, but it is Hard to Change
- Doing Change God’s Way
- Last week we discussed habits and change; today we will begin to make specific applications to some difficult sins.
I. Review: Principles for Change
- Know that God Demands, Grants, and Welcomes Change.
- Achieve Balance as Fully Integrated Beings.
- Focus on System or Process Instead of Goals Alone.
- Set Priorities. Choose between the Urgent, Important, and Unimportant.
- Understand the Limits of Willpower.
- Engineer New Habits; Modify Old Ones (Romans 12:1-2).
II. Application: Eliminating the Sin that Entangles Us
- Identify the Sin (He 12:1).
- Repent (Matthew 3:1-8; 2 Corinthians 7:10; 2 Corinthians 12:21; Matthew 3:8; Romans 12:1-2).
- Build New / Transform Old Habits (PLAN) – Change Cues, Routines, and/or Rewards.
- Ask Help from Others (Accountability; James 5:16-17).
- Ask God’s Help in Transformation (2 Corinthians 3:18; 1 Corinthians 10:13).
- Ask God’s Forgiveness When You Fail (1 John 1:9).
- Repeat, Adjust Plan, Don’t Give Up.
- Lessons to Take Home
- You Can Change Your Life.
- You Can Overcome Bad Habits & Sins.
- It takes Planning and Work.
- It takes Dependence on God.
- Are You Doing Change God’s Way?
Creating new habits and modifying old ones are the best uses of will-power to bring about lasting change in our lives. Romans 12:2 is a model for this approach, Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. The key is the “renewing of your mind” which, in this series, I have defined as “repentance.” This renewing also involves being mindful of the cues, routines, and rewards associated with our behavior and being present in the moment to consistently modify one or more of these to produce a new behavior.
How does this work in real life? Sunday’s lesson is an application of these principles to some of the areas in our lives we might want to change. It is entitled, The Sin that Entangles.
Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
I hope you will join us! Joey
Leave A Comment