How to Build a Life:
Always Tell the Truth
- Intentional Deception.
- NOT Being Mistaken.
- Misrepresenting the Facts
- NOT Withholding Facts (Except in Legal Contexts)
Commandment #9: Always Tell the Truth (Exodus 20:16)
- Primarily Regards False Testimony about Someone
- Also Applies to Careless Testimony
The Lord Hates a Lying Tongue (Proverbs 6:16-19)
We Must Guard Our Hearts (Proverbs 4:23-24)
Lying is Condemned
- Lying about Others — Perjury, Gossip, Slander
- Lying to Others — Personal Gain, Avoid Trouble, Flattery
- Lying to God — Promises, Deals
- Lying to Yourself
Becoming People of Truth
- Perform a Daily Checkup
- Refuse to Gossip or Listen to Gossip
- Encourage Others with Your Words (Ephesians 4:29)
- Be an Image Bearer (God Does Not Lie; He is Always Faithful)
Are You a Truth Teller?
We were always taught, “Honesty is the best policy.” Our lesson text would agree. God has provided the Ten Commandments as principles for building godly and successful lives. Sunday, we will examine the ninth command, Always Tell the Truth or as the text reads…
Exodus 20:16 You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
Matthew 12:35-37 The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. 36 But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. 37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.”
This is why the Bible teaches we should “guard” our hearts (Proverbs 4:23-24).
I’ll say more in my lesson.