How to Build a Life: Be Content
Commandment #10: Be Content (Exodus 20:17)
- Is “Enthusiastic Desire”.
- Is a Morally Neutral Term.
- Refers to Inappropriate Desires.
- Refers to Legitimate Desires that Lead to Wrong Actions.
Coveting is the Source of All Other Sin
- David Coveted Bathsheba (#10).
- He Stole Another Man’s Wife (#8).
- He Committed Adultery (#7).
- He Lied About his Affair (#9).
- He Profaned the Lord’s Name (#3).
- He Murdered Uriah, the Hittite (#6).
- He Put Himself, not God First (#1).
The Cause of Coveting: Resentment
- Resentment toward God (Cain)
- Resentment toward Life’s Unfairness (Older Brother)
- Resentment toward Others (Saul)
The Consequences of Coveting: Estrangement
- Coveting Comes Between Us and Others (James 4:1-3).
- Coveting Comes Between Us and God (Ephesians 5:5; Colossians 3:1-2).
The Cure for Coveting: Contentment
- Detecting of the Disease
- What Do You Think About All the Time? (Colossians 3:1-2)
- How Good I am at Rejoicing with Others? (Romans 12:15)
- Defeating the Disease—We Must…
- Learn to be Content (1 Timothy 6:6-8; Philippians 4:11-13).
- Learn the Difference Between Wants and Needs.
- Learn the Difference Between Temporal and Eternal (Luke 12:13-15; 2 Corinthians 4:18).
Where are Your Eyes?