- Today we will Discuss Goodness.
- KJV & NIV translates it as “goodness;” NRS, “generosity.”
- In English “good” is a wide and general term.
- Greek – Agathōsunē, “goodness,” is similar to Chrēstotēs, “kindness.” It is generosity that springs from a heart that is kind
Use in the LXX (Greek Old Testament)
- Goodness in General (Ps 52:3)
- Prosperity in Life (Ec 7:14; Ec 6:3, 6; Ec 5:18)
- Benefit, Profit, Enjoyment, Pleasure (Ec 4:8)
- Generosity (Ne 9:35, 25)
Use in the New Testament
- Three Other Occurrences – “goodness” (2 Th 1:11; Ep 5:9; Ro 15:14)
- “Goodness” is often Paired with “Justice.”
- Matthew 20:15 Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’
- Justice concerns itself with accurate payment (for good or ill); goodness concerns itself with generosity.
- “Good” is often contrasted with “evil” or “bad.” In Mt 20:15 “evil eye” (envious) is contrasted with “good” (generous).
- One who is characterized by Agathōsunē does not just give what is due, but good that was never deserved. It reflects the quality of generosity that is contrasted with grudging, stingy giving.
- A Good Person is a Generous Person, a stingy person is not good.
- A Kind, Generous Heart Expresses itself in Action.
- God’s Generous Character is Seen in the Way He Treats Us.
- Are you a Generous Person?
Goodness, Agathōsunē, is similar to Chrēstotēs, kindness. It is generosity that springs from a heart that is kind. It is used in both the Greek OT and the NT to describe the “good” that God bestows on his people (prosperity, joy, pleasure, etc.). In Matthew 20:15 we find a definite comparison between generosity (good) and greed or stinginess (evil).
More than that, goodness is often paired or contrasted with justice. Justice concerns itself with accurate payment (for good or ill); goodness concerns itself with generosity. God is generous with us; he gives us what we need instead of what we deserve. God’s generosity (goodness) is an example for us to be generous to others with our praise, good works, and finances.
Are you generous? Are you trying to be more like God? I’ll say more in my lesson!
Have a Great Week! Joey